I promised one of our customers at the Farmers market how to make a simple vanilla syrup at home. Here is the recipe I found an use as a basis, slightly modified from original.
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 cups soft brown sugar like Muscovado
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoon vanilla extract.
- Optional vanilla seeds or pods etc
- Bring all the ingredients except vanilla extract to a simmer
- Boil under constant supervision for 10 minutes or more. Look away for a second and it is bound to boil over!
- Let mixture cool down
- Add some or all of the vanilla extract depending on the other forms of vanilla added.
Instead of vanilla, other extracts can be combined with rhe bbasic sugar surup. It is delicious wirh cold brew.